Sunday, February 23, 2014

Child of Paradox and Possibilities

Comic Recommendation: Trese

 Monsters, dwarfs, animorphs and even Filipino gods and deities, what if there are the ones in charge of the underground market or if they are the one who is behind simple crimes? Do you think the police can handle them?
This is where Trese comes in.

Full name Alexandra Trese, is the daughter of Anton Trese. This is her story, fighting characters that are part of Philippine folklores and deal with things the police cannot handle. She has two bodyguards and they are twins, she owns Diabolical, a bar were normal people and the supernatural can socialize as long as they do not harm the normal people they are welcome to stay.

Created by Sir Budjette Tan and illustrated by Kajo Baldisimo. It was published December 2005 and is ongoing, it now has five books, each book having four or five stories as per book 3. There is another book called Stories from Diabolical, it is basically a collection of short stories and illustrations. Plus the compilation book titled, book of murders which a hard bound book of the first 3 books.
How did I discover the book? Around 2012, I have seen it a number of time in National Bookstore, but I am the type that browse before I buy a book and most of the time the book was sealed. Until I was at one book fair my friend told me the book was available at a discounted price. So I bought the first two books, luckily the artist, Sir Kajo Baldisimo was in the said fair, promoting another book,  Manila Noir (I will be buying that one soon), he was nice enough to sign my copy even though it was under a different publisher.
Why you should read Trese?
·        
If you are Filipino, it gives a new light to the folklore of our country and it makes learn new things about the characters and gods of Filipino mythology
·         If you are a foreigner, it help you understand a few of the traditions and superstitions of Filipinos 
·         Though it changes the names of the malls and brands, it is the only book I know that features locations in the country (or maybe I’m not reading other books much)

·         I think anyone who is into comics should have a copy of this books



If these reasons are not enough go and visit the following pages and judge it for your self

PS the Kambal is love!


Photos are Mine
Cross posted  here

No comments:

Post a Comment