Sunday, July 22, 2018

5 Famous Japanese songs from the 90's



The 90's was my time! This was the time I discovered Sailormoon on ABC5, now TV5. Those were the days! I miss it a lot. Things were a lot more simple then, yap I'm that old. So with that Let me talk about the 5 songs that opened that doors for me to love J-music!

1. Sweet Soul Revue by Pizzicato Five

   I don't remember much on how this became popular in the 90's. I do know that it was a dance craze before. It was played on local radio stations at that time. Since the net did not really exist at that time. Most people will sing to it even if the words did not make sense.

I wanted to play this song all day, so I tried to get the album in cassette form as CD's were expensive for the elementary student me. Which brings us to the next song:

2. Feel Like Dance by Globe

   Malls were still scarce at that time. That if you want to visit one, you will need to go to SM Makati or Landmark. I don't remember everything well but I know we were at Landmark to but school supplies. Lucky the record store/area was close. I was looking for the album of Pizzicato Five, however, the saleslady did not know what it was and I did not know the title of the song at that time. 

She presented Globe's self-titled album, she said it is the one Japanese album they have. For them, I have loved the band so much! I think this was also played on local radio stations. 

3. Automatic by Utada Hikaru

   How did I learn about this song? MTV, I think but it was played late at night so it did not get the popularity it needed for Hikki to be known as a household name in the Philippines. I don't even remember how I got her album. I love her to this day. Her lyrics are just so relatable.

4. Hohoemi no Bakudan by Matsuko Mawatari

   Is known in the Philippines as the opening song of Ghost Fighter or Yu Yu Hakusho. It is that danceable song that made kids run to the TV set as they knew it was time to watch Eugene and the gang on another adventure.

5. Zankoku na Tenshi no Tēze by Yoko Takahashi

   This is from the series, Neon Genesis Evangelion. If you have watched it on ABS-CBN, you need to watch the series again as there were so many scenes that were cut for it to be aired on local TV. It's one of the most mind-boggling anime I have ever watched. For me, it is the closest to real life well minus the angels and technology. 


If you are wondering why Sailormoon's and Magic Knight Rayearth's opening songs were not included, if it because it was sung in Tagalog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment